Friday, December 4, 2009

Christmas Blog #5: Shopping

 

  It was a tradition I don’t remember the beginning of. One night before Christmas, my father and I would go Christmas shopping for my mom and the rest of the family, just him and me. We would first go have dinner, usually at the Chinese restaurant in town that we both loved, and then off to the mall.

  I know I’ve mentioned this before, but its something from my childhood that I cherish so much, that I have to write about it again.

  When I was little, I remember going to school and playing it off that “oh, I have to go shopping with my dad tonight…” but deep down, I knew that I was giddy. I loved my daddy, and I loved that one night that we bonded over Chinese food and shopping for our loved ones. I loved having that one on one time with him, where I was the one holding his attention, making him laugh, and hopefully making him love me even more. I know it sounds a little desperate; but always, deep down, I wanted my father’s respect and approval. He was a good man, and I just wanted to do good by him, even at a young age.

  After a successful night of shopping, we would somehow manage to sneak all our finds into the house, where I would stash them in my room, and eventually I would then wrap them all lovingly. We were a good team. And I knew that someday, I would want and have a husband just like my father, who bought pretty things for my mama out of love for her.

  This will be the fourth Christmas that I won’t spend with my parents. They live in Montana, while I’m in Florida. While it was my own choice to move so far away, and I can’t say I regret it because its brought me many good things in my life, there isn’t a day that goes by where I don’t miss my parents. And the holiday season only intensifies that twinge of sadness. The only comfort I have is that they know I am happy, safe, and living my life the way I want. As a parent now myself, I know that there is nothing more you can ask of your child. : )

  And the best part? I still have those awesome memories of Daddy and I, shopping, laughing, and eating fortune cookies.

 

** This entry is dedicated to my Daddy. Merry Christmas, Daddy- I love you, always. **

1 comment: