Saturday, December 12, 2009

Christmas Blog #12: Stockings

Is it me, or are Christmas stockings one of the more bizarre traditions we have? Putting presents in socks, really? There are quite a few theories. The Dutch believe its from their history of putting hay in their shoes for the reindeer. Another story is of an English nobleman who’s wife died, leaving him with his three daughters. They ended up losing everything, including all their money. One Christmas night, Santa peeked into their house and saw the daughter’s clean stockings hanging up to dry, and he put gold coins in them.

I guess everyone has some version of the whole stocking thing. Children in Italy and France put their shoes by the fireplace for treats as well.

When I was a kid, Santa always stuffed my stocking with great treats. CDs, chapstick (which has been my best friend since the first time I saw my mother use it), candy…and usually an apple and orange. Santa wanted me to be healthy, apparently. ; ) Stockings were always the first thing we did in the morning. I was usually allowed to open my stocking while my mother showered and dressed, and my grandparents were still on their way over for presents.

Today, we have our three stockings up on the wall. We don’t really use them- yet. I figure when Monkey is a little older, we will start a stocking tradition of some sort. Right now, this is only his second Christmas, and I think its going to still be a little overwhelming. : )

Still, they are pretty, and a sweet reminder of tradition.


1 comment: