Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Christmas Blog #15: Christmas Cards, Take Two

We finally got our first Christmas cards today. One was from friends of the hubby’s, who I will probably meet while we’re out in CA for Christmas. The second…let’s see. The second was from one of my best friend’s parents, who also happen to be my ex-fiancee’s parents. My ex-almost-in-laws? Uh-huh. You can take the girl outta the country…

It always makes me bittersweet getting a Christmas card from them. Not because I regret where I am now, and not because I’m unhappy. I’m very happy. And I know that the path I took to bring me where I am now was the right one. Still…sometimes when you look back, instead of all the crazy drama and pain, all you see are the happy times. I suppose that is a good thing, but it almost hurts more.

Now, I am happily married, and he is not only dating again, but apparently pretty serious- they’ve moved in together. And that really, truly makes me happy for him. It is hard to let people go, especially when they are someone that you had “claim” to for so long. But he let me go when I began dating the Hubs; I can’t honestly say when I let him go. Maybe it was before I even moved away. Maybe it was when I had a baby; maybe it was when I got married. I’m not sure. But knowing that he is out in the world and happy is enough for this heart of mine.

Funny how all that can come from one little Christmas card. All its purpose was to bring a little holiday cheer. But every year that particular card brings a rush of feelings that flood my soul, if only for a moment. To know one’s self, I do believe that you must not only know where you’re going, but where you came from.

2 comments:

  1. You know it's love when all you want is that person to be happy, even if you're not part of their happiness." ~Julia Roberts

    ReplyDelete