Thursday, December 3, 2009

Christmas Blog #4: Joseph, the Carpenter

 

If there was ever one place I was completely comfortable in high school, it was in Youth Group at church. I had such an amazing support system, mostly with the friends that I had made through confirmation. It was basically three guys and me. I loved them like brothers. Well, more like friends of a brother, since I had crushes on all of them at some point. ; )

Every Christmas, the high school youth would conduct a service for the whole congregation. We usually ended up doing some sort of play/skit type of thing, complete with readings, songs, and reenactments of the traditional first Christmas scene.

One Christmas in particular called for a large speaking role from Joseph. Every scene began the same way, with Joseph going to the tax collector’s to register. Our leaders decided that it would be best for someone with a good, loud-projecting voice to play the part of Joseph, and they asked for volunteers. Only one hand went up.

Mine.

What? You think my acting abilities aren’t good enough to play a carpenter that just happened to raise the baby Jesus here on Earth? Please. ; )

Actually, I do think there were some people (Pastor?) who at first had a slight issue with it. But the Sunday after Christmas, when we performed, I don’t think anyone could deny that I was the best- and probably loudest- Joseph they had ever seen. Our congregation was an older one, and all the foggies loved me in my carpenter overalls with my long hair tucked into a cap. But they mostly liked me because they could hear every word I said.

I still look back on that and can’t help but smile. When I was little, I was so incredibly shy. I clung to my mother and never wanted to talk to anyone I didn’t know.

I’ve come a long way, baby. : )

No comments:

Post a Comment