Thursday, December 10, 2009

Christmas Blog #11: Cards

When I was a kid, my parents had friends that sent the most obnoxious Christmas cards, ones with an attached letter that went on and on about how perfect their kids were. The girl had a 4.0, spoke three languages, and spent her summer vacation helping orphans in Russia- or something like that. The boy played every sport under the sun, and was- of course- the best at all of them.

Their happy Brady Bunch family-ness always cracked me and my mother up. We always joked about how we should send one to them saying how I had dropped out of school to join the circus. We never did- probably a good thing!

All of that said, I love sending Christmas cards. My goal is to have my cards ready to send the day after Thanksgiving. I like my card to be the first one that everyone gets. I go to the store and pick out the prettiest cards I can find. Now that I’m married and have the Monkey, we get professional pictures taken, and I send those stuffed in my pretty cards. I refrain from writing a letter about every amazing detail about my kid (that’s what my blog is for, right? HA!).

Now, every year that I sit down and get my cards ready for all my loved ones, I think of our perfect-family friends and smile. I smile because now, I’m not so different. My family isn’t perfect- but they are something I am proud of, and can’t help but share with everyone. So I suppose, now I get it. : )

No comments:

Post a Comment