Monday, December 21, 2009

Christmas Blog #20: Proof

…That kids will play with the box that any toy, no matter how impressive, came in.


Today, we got two big boxes from my parents in Montana. I unloaded one that was full of presents and let the Monkey play with it while I was occupied with something else. When I turned back to him, he had tossed his baseball in the box, and was diving in to get it.

Isn’t that another great thing about being a kid? Everything is something else to you. I remember my grandma having this bright magenta colored tissue paper that for the longest time I used to dance around with as if I were a prima ballerina. Even typing that now it makes me smile, because I know it sounds a bit ridiculous. At the time, that tissue paper was my life.


We all convince ourselves that we need all these grand fancy, shiny things. that we won’t survive without an Xbox 360, a Wii, the latest and greatest I-pod, etc. When, really, we can survive. Not only can we survive, but we’re probably just as happy- if not happier- without it. And seriously, that Wii thing really bothers me- everyone is always saying how its so great to stay fit, but can’t you just go outside and play instead?


I just miss the days of simplicity. Of days where we went outside to play, and used our imagination as opposed to sitting in front of the TV all day. I know I feel less intelligent by the day, and I don’t think its because I’m stupid, but by what I surround myself by. I know I surround myself with too much- there have been times that I’ve been on the computer, with music on, in front of the TV, which is also on. Why? What do I need all of that for? No wonder I have a headache much of the time.


This holiday season, I hope you remember to slow down, chill out, and enjoy the simplicity of the season. A snowflake in your eyelash. A starry night. A smile from a stranger. Enjoy it, and cherish it.


No comments:

Post a Comment