Sunday, August 2, 2009

No preaching

Don't worry- I'm not going to preach to you on this Sunday morning. However, this is a snapshot of something special to me, and that is what I write about in this here blog, so here we go.

When I decided to move clear across the country from Montana to Florida, I am fairly certain that my mother wanted to have a heart attack. She managed to keep her cool- for the most part- but she refused to let me leave without a brand new, beautiful Bible. So...here it is.

Okay, so I am not one of those people who carry their Bible around everywhere, or even one who reads it every day. I haven't even gone to church in.....awhile. I still believe in God, and I still tell my baby boy about Him. We sing "Jesus Loves Me" and tell the Christmas Story and the Easter Story and all of that. He has been baptized. I know that it doesn't seem like much, but until I can get over my church issues, its what we've got.

That said, there have been days when I've felt sad and lonely and hopeless. When I first moved here, me with my BFF, it was hard. Money was tight, we only pretty much knew each other...it was exciting and new, but terrifying as well. It was definitely something we both needed to experience, this life away from all that was familiar, but it was certainly not easy. There were nights I would lie awake, worrying about everything from money to boys, jobs and broken hearts, friends and loneliness. And in those moments, I would bust out my handy-dandy, fancy pantsy Bible, and read. It has this excellent reference tool in the back, where it tells you what to read for certain issues life may throw your way. "When the future seems hopeless"; "When others have sinned against you"; "When some scumbag has broken your heart into a trillion pieces and you need God to smite him".....OKAY, I kind of made that last one up (gosh, wouldn't THAT be handy, though????). Still, it was comforting. The words, the hope, the idea that you can pray and think and there is SOMEONE up there who not only listens to what you have to say, but likes you for it. Or in spite of it.

I think we all have our certain, random things that comfort us. Not all of us have God; while I personally don't understand that point of view, I respect it, because I expect others to respect my point of view. Which I think is all we could really hope for in this world. If you think of a world with a lot more respect....well, a lot of our worldly issues would pretty much be resolved. Or at least, easier to resolve.

Then again, maybe its just my bright-eyed point of view. ; )



No comments:

Post a Comment