Monday, August 3, 2009

Mama



My mother always used to say: "The older you get, the better you get, unless you're a banana."
~ Rose, The Golden Girls




It's my mama's birthday today!!!

She is twenty-seven. (Love ya, Ma).

And so, today, my snapshot is of someONE I love. My mother was my first friend, my best friend, my guidance counselor, that voice in my head that nags at me when I'm thinking of doing something wrong (ha), and a huge reason I am who I am- and I mean that in a good way!!

When I was little, I would follow my mother around the house as she cleaned, did laundry, went to the fridge, took out the trash, tried to go to the bathroom...seriously. Why the woman didn't just pin me up on the clothesline and leave me there, I'll never know. I wanted to be just like my mother. I wanted to look like her and talk like her and be smart like her and funny like her and laugh like her...does this sound obsessive? Yeah.

Now, as I'm a supposed adult my own self, people are constantly saying that we look so much alike. And I don't think that we do. I do think that we now act alike and talk alike and laugh alike. I catch myself saying things sometimes that I have heard my mother say. I am nicey-nice like she is, and my voice strains the same way when I'm horribly irritated but am not supposed to show it. I have a big laugh like she does. I like the sunshine and jewelry and shopping and fashion and the beach and naps like her. We laugh about the same things. She's always been my best friend, and that friendship has grown and changed as I have gotten older. While we are still mother and daughter, we are also so much more. She comes to me for advice (okay, about how to text message, or what the hell Facebook is), and I now call her and ask baby questions. Its funny when you realize that your parents are...people, just like you. : )

So...Happy Birthday, Mama. I hope you have a fabulous day. And I can't wait to be old and gray with you, just like the Golden Girls. Clutch your purse!!



No comments:

Post a Comment