Tuesday, August 11, 2009

What's cookin'?

“I was 32 when I started cooking; up until then, I just ate.” ~ Julia Child


When I was, hmm, I think about twelve or thirteen (Mom?), I decided that I myself, would make delicious ginger snap cookies for a family camping trip. I was going to make the most magical ginger snaps you'd ever tasted. They would dance on everyone's tongues and go perfectly with milk. And everyone would think I was amazing.

Do you sense a blip in the story coming?

So I mix all the ingredients together, and shape cookies on the sheet, and put them in the oven to bake. The timer went off, I opened the oven, and there...was...ginger sludge.

I was mortified. All the perfectly shaped cookies had melded together and become one big goo puddle. Quite traumatic for my little twelve (or thirteen?) year old self. I cried and my mother probably secretly laughed. From then on, I refused to cook. I was too afraid.

And then...............marriage came along. I guess I figured wives only cooked in the 50s....ridiculous and cliche, right? Well, my husband actually cooks and it pretty good at it. However, since I am the one home waaaaaay before he is most nights, the duty has fallen upon me.

I started with easy stuff. Hamburger Helper. Frozen lasagna. Salads with grilled chicken on top. Then I began to bore with all that, and finally decided to take the plunge. I looked up online recipes. I asked my mother cooking questions. I had her teach me how to make meatballs.

And lookie! A full working stove, bubbling and cooking all my little masterpieces. Alright, so it was just spaghetti. BUT I made my own meatballs, plus I always add stuff to the Ragu- this particular time, white wine, oregano, and garlic. Plus angel hair pasta and garlic bread. AND and, I actually enjoy cooking now. No, its not impossible to make spaghetti. But I feel so accomplished cooking for my husband (and little boy). I feel like I'm fulfilling a wifely duty. And that makes me proud.

Maybe, someday, I'll warm up to the idea of trying gingersnaps again.

Maybe.

3 comments:

  1. Good for you for getting in there and giving it a go! I keep imagining myself as this wonderful cook but everytime I try I majorly stuff it up. The other day I actually got quite angry when I thought about having to cook dinner. Is there a self help group for that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. There needs to be!!

    Even worse...I feel like I've accomplished SO MUCH, and then I have to pry compliments from my husband. I don't think he understands how drastic a change it is for me to cook!! *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so proud of you!! It's baby steps...spaghetti today and gourmet tomorrow!! When I was little I decided to make Snickerdoodles and misread the recipe and put a tablespoon of cinnamon in instead of a teaspoon. Mom tried to balance it out with the other stuff but they were the most disgusting cookies I've ever eaten. lol

    ReplyDelete