Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Bittersweetness- Tunage Tuesday

Not all things in life are happy rays of sunshine. Not all days are going to be good ones. Not all loves are going to end happily ever after. And sometimes, even though you are happy in your life now, you still need to be sad about things from your past. No, it doesn't make sense. Maybe it doesn't make things better. The best course of action would be to forget the past- forget anything and anyone that has brought you sadness and pain. But...tell me how you do that. Because I have never been able to drive things- people- out of this ocean-deep heart of mine.


I don't know if I'm a closet pessimist- I don't think I am- but I have a thing- a fetish, if you will- for sad songs. Maybe it's like Elton sings- "Sad songs say so much". Don't they? I connect with sad songs more often than I do happy ones. My husband and I didn't really have one special love song for our wedding (although I made four or five CDs to play for our reception), and yet I have handfuls of songs for every bad relationship from my past. Songs that I have mentally dedicated to past "loves". Weird? Definitely. I think its because I don't need to define my happy relationship. I know that my husband and I love one another- I don't need someone to sing that to me. But when you've been wronged, broken, left behind...you need to know that you aren't alone. You need to know that you aren't the only fool that fell for the tricks and romantic silliness. That you still have something to cling to.


It's funny. This song came out much later, after my almost relationship ended. And yet the moment I heard it, I knew it was the song to sum it all up. For so long I had felt this way. Not anymore, obviously, but just because I've moved on and am happy now, doesn't mean that the sadness and pain didn't ever happen. It actually helped shape me as the woman I am today. I can't regret that.

Today, my readers, don't be afraid of sadness. I think sometimes we are, and in the end it overwhelms us, takes us over. If we let it happen, let it wash over us, we flush it out. Otherwise, I think one would drown in it. All sadness is is an eye opener to what happiness will embrace us next.


No comments:

Post a Comment