Friday, August 28, 2009

Friday Movie Time

Yay for Friday!!! This one has felt like a loooong time coming, no? Yeesh.

And so now, a little Friday film inspiration. While cruising this afternoon to go pick up the Monkey from daycare, I popped a favorite soundtrack of mine into the player and jammed out like I do in that horribly cool way. HA. Don't be fooled, there is nothing cool with me jamming out in my car down the interstate. I'm sure I look like a completely idiot, but it keeps me from going crazy with all the nutty drivers around me, so oh well. Anywayyy...what soundtrack, from what movie you ask?

Mona Lisa Smile! Ta-da!!

Alright. So probably the reason there aren't any MALE followers (um, that I'm aware of...wouldn't want to step on toes now) for this blog is probably because I just end up being way too girly. But...hey, I am a girl, darn it. And this is a good movie!!

I've always had a girl crush on Julia Roberts. I think because I've always wanted to be like her- with that killer smile and excellent acting career, who wouldn't? I feel as if she is one of those women you can actually look up to. I'm not saying she's perfect, but I feel that she is a bit more down to earth than some others that are in similar shoes.

Anyway....back to the movie. It's set in the 50s, and Julia plays a college professor who begins working @ Wellesley, a college for well off, conservative young women. The movie takes you on the tale of the lives of these women. It sounds a little boring, right? I kind of thought that when I first rented the movie, but thought I would give it a shot. I think I ended up watching it three times in a row before I had to return it to the movie rental store. I hadn't done that since Harry and the Hendersons when I was like 7. (Insert awkward pause here!)

This professor, aka Julia, teaches the Art History class (which, if I ever end up going back to college, I would like to study), but she ends up teaching the girls in her class much much more. She teaches them about life, and about demanding to live it to its full potential. She reminds me of a teacher I had in high school, who was remarkably inspiring and strong willed and passionate about all of her students achieving their own greatness.

I love everything about the 50s. I love the clothes, I love the culture, I love the way people still seemed to have class. I wish I had been a part of that time. Aside from the fact that women were still being bred to be the perfect housewife (as this film candidly captures), I think it would have been a fascinating time to be alive.

And then, of course, we come back to the soundtrack, which brought this movie into light today. It's great. Lots of songs from the time that were remade by artists of today, including Celine Dion, Kelly Rowland, Mandy Moore, Tori Amos, and Macy Grey. The songs really take you back to a different time, if only for a moment. The time of housewives, and red lipstick, and completely different ideals.

Have a fabulous weekend, readers. : )


See past the paint. Let's open our minds to a different idea. ~ Katherine Watson, played by Julia Roberts, Mona Lisa Smile

No comments:

Post a Comment