Saturday, August 22, 2009

Motherhood 101

Fine, follow Daddy's footsteps...Just don't forget your mother!!


Tonight, while I was trying to get the little Monkey to settle down for sleep, he began a little game he's been playing quite a bit at bed time lately, because he KNOWS it's too irresistible for me to deny. It's not even really a game, so when I explain it, don't say "That's it? That's the lamest game ever!", because....I am aware. : )


Basically, Monkey will kiss me on the face or on the lips until one of us- AKA,
me- starts giggling. Then he starts giggling and even though I sound completely and totally insane when I say this, in that moment of our giggles intermingling in our ears, it feels like there's magic in the air. Like fairy dust and serendipity and all things fanciful are just floating around us, enclosing us in our own secret little bubble, bonding us so perfectly, if only for that moment.


I do worry that eventually the time will come and Monkey will no longer fit in my lap, or kiss me at will, or even giggle with me. He and his father are the spitting image of one another- both physically and in personality. They both love sports and all things "boy", and while I actually enjoy sports too, I worry that I will still just be "MOM" and not cool enough to possibly understand the magic of a touchdown, a home run, a great drive down the fairway, or a three point shot.


Which is why, now, just in case, I will enjoy every kiss from him. I will cherish each giggle, and I will tear up every time we giggle together and I have that fanciful feeling in the pit of my stomach. I will force my memory to recite those moments to me every day, forever.


Just in case.



No comments:

Post a Comment