Friday, October 9, 2009

Tiki


I grew up around animals. No, not my siblings. There was always a pet in our house for as long as I can remember. Cat, dog, chickens, cows, pigs, a horse.....okay, those last few weren't actually IN our house. I remember I dated a guy who never had a pet ever growing up. Because of it, he didn't really like animals. And then I wonder why we never lasted.

Now, since we are renting a house still, we can't really have a dog or cat. Not that I really want one right now- the Monkey's still too young and we just don't have the time to properly care for a high maintenance pet. Enter.......the Tiki.

Tiki was my house warming present when we moved to our new townhouse over a year ago. A long time ago, when the BFF and I first lived down here on the Disney College Program, we saw a guy who sold turtles out of a van on the side of the road. Sounds sketchy, but this dude is awesome. He knows everything about turtles. And we vowed that someday we would buy turtles from him. So when we moved, the BFF bought Tiki for me. He's one of the best gifts I've ever gotten. I immediately named him Tiki- because its a great name for a turtle, no? Plus, he is so low maintenance. All I need to do is feed him and clean his tank occasionally. I'll even scrub his shell with a toothbrush so it doesn't get slimy. He likes to try and bite the toothbrush- he's pretty scrappy, for a little turtle.

Lately, his tank has been sitting in the kitchen window sill- he seems to like the natural sunshine a lot more than his light. Whenever I come into the kitchen he will swim to my side of the tank and look at me. He's probably hoping for more food, but I pretend its because he loves me.

And its good to be loved. : )




No comments:

Post a Comment