Friday, October 9, 2009

Karma

We've all seen them. Those kids in a restaurant that just won't mind. They won't eat, they yell really loud, they throw food, they stand in the booth and stomp their feet, and reach over to the next table to bother others. And we've all been annoyed by parents who just can't seem to control their young.

I used to see these instances and I would silently vow to myself that my child would never act that way. My child would never misbehave. They would never act out in public, they would never cause a scene, and everyone would think they were perfect.


Um. Yeah. Can we say....delusional?

Last night, the hubby and I picked the Monkey up from daycare, and then decided to go to dinner. Before the food even came, Monkey was pouting, throwing his crayons on the floor, and eventually began to wail with tears and everything. I took him outside for a few minutes to help him calm down, and when we returned, he refused to sit in his high chair, refused to eat, refused to do anything but sit next to me in the booth and put his crayons in and out of the little box they came in. Okay, so this sounds like its not really that big of deal, right? I know. I over-reacted. A lot. I got mad, I cussed, I stopped making pleasant conversation. It really bothered me that my child was that child. I was that horrible mother that everyone was judging. It did not feel good.

Once we got home, I realized some things. First off, Monkey is usually pretty good in public. He's been pretty much everywhere from the time he was born. But he had been in the car for a good 45 minutes, and then we expected him to sit quietly for another 30-45 minutes. That's an eternity for a 21 month old to sit. Second, no matter how good of a parent you are, your kid- especially when they are still pretty young and just don't understand how to behave in public yet- there are going to be times that just aren't that fun. Kids aren't perfect. Neither are parents.

I felt so guilty for being so upset. What did I care what the people at the restaurant thought about me, or my kid? I didn't know them. And, honestly, while he was being bratty for him, he wasn't the worst. Sometimes...it just happens.

Now, I just kind of laugh at that
girl I used to be. That girl that was judgemental and thought she knew it all. When, really, she had no idea.

Oh, and also...who can stay mad at this face??


No comments:

Post a Comment