Friday, October 23, 2009

Dinner and a Movie...and Book....


So I've been off my whole Friday Movie blog plan- not to mention Tuesday Tune day. But...I'm trying to get back on track! : )

This week I thought I'd devote to my all time favorite book. I've always been really good with all things English- writing, reading, essays, grammar (mostly), spelling (mostly), etc. But I have to confess, most of the books we were required to read in high school were a little snooze-worthy ( I am SO sorry, Mr. John Steinbeck). But, seriously, an entire book about an old guy on a boat, in the middle of the ocean who catches a giant fish? Um . . .

Needless to say, when our teacher passed out To Kill A Mockingbird in sophomore English, I had a moment of inward groaning. I didn't know anything about the book before opening to the first page- it was just one of those titles we all knew for whatever reason. I hadn't seen the movie either. I just assumed that it would be lame- it's a mistake a lot of high school aged kids make. Anything that was created before they were born was lame and old-school.

I would say by page three I was hooked to this book. I devoured it. Every day we would have to have a few more chapters read for class discussion- I finished the book in two days. I loved it. I don't even know why I loved it so much. I suppose because the writing is so clear, so simple and clean. The characters are so real- you could easily fit people from your own life as replacements. Then there's the great little message of humanity and decency.

In English class, we had the option to either borrow a used copy of the book or buy a new one for our own for $3. I bought mine- because I like to write in them sometimes, okay?- and I did keep it, and I read it over and over again. Now, I seemed to have misplaced my copy- but I hope to someday replace it with a new, possibly hard cover, copy. : )


1 comment:

  1. Thats one of my favs too! and the movie is great as well =D

    ReplyDelete