Friday, September 11, 2009

Friday Movie: Buzz, buzz?


Sometimes, a story comes along that touches your heart, even though you aren't quite sure why. Maybe its just got a magic about it that touches everyone. Maybe its just good story telling. Maybe you are just looking for something to cling to in that moment, and the story is all you've got.


I read The Secret Life of Bees quite a few years ago, and was pretty madly in love with it, just like anyone else who read it. I love stories that blur the lines of conformity- whether it be race, gender, or otherwise. I love heroes and heroines that aren't afraid to stand up for what is right, no matter what the costs. Don't we all get that sweet happy feeling in our belly whenever we see someone do the right thing, even if its more difficult?

When I heard they were making this book into a movie, I was skeptical. We all know of a book that we love dearly that ends up getting chopped and tortured on the big screen (*cough* Harry Potter *cough*). So, needless to say, I didn't rush out and watch this movie immediately, in spite of the fact that I love all the women in it. How could you go wrong with Queen Latifah, Dakota Fanning, Alicia Keys, AND Jennifer Hudson? Seriously.

So, I admit my foolishness about waiting and doubting this film. But I finally watched it on HBO on demand (God I love that creation!), and it was awesome. I haven't read the book in quite some time, but everything I remember from it was right. I'm sure there were a few differences, but the big and best details seemed to be there. I loved this movie. I laughed, I cried, and was totally bummed when it was over. I wanted to stay in the big pink house and listen to Alicia- er, June- play music, and go bee keeping with August.

Isn't that the best kind of story? Not only does it suck you in and make you feel alive, but at the end of the story you wish it hadn't ended at all? When I was younger and I would come across a book like that, I used to start the book over immediately because I knew I would miss the characters too much. : )

I hope ya'll have favorite stories, and I hope you always remember to keep them close to your heart. Maybe its something silly that doesn't really matter to everyone, but I would think that anyone who reads- and writes- blogs cherishes writing at some level. Keep it close, tucked away, always. And remember that it is always there to keep you company.

No comments:

Post a Comment