Wednesday, July 22, 2009

The Wedding Quilt


You know that question of what you would save out of your house if it was on fire? This would be one of those things. I try my hardest not to be materialistic, but there are some materials that just hold too much of your heart to let go.

When my husband and I got married, my grandmother gave us a quilt. But not just any quilt. This quilt. When we unwrapped it, I was a little confused, in spite of the fact that it was beautiful. But it felt fragile, delicate. Then my mother came up along side me and helped us find this patch attached to the back of the quilt (and excuse the poor picture taking):





The moment I began reading this, the tears began to flow. Until that point of my wedding day, I had been pretty good about keeping my composure. But this sent me right over the edge. The thing is, I always knew my grandmother loved me. But it was this act of kindness that locked and sealed the deal. It was something that not only bonded us more and grandmother and granddaughter, but as women.



Today, the quilt sits at the bottom of our staircase, on a quilt ring given to me by my mother-in-law, that is really perfect for displaying the quilt. I look at it everyday, and think of love.

See? Me brought to tears by my own grandmother!


All weddings, except those with shotguns in evidence, are wonderful. ~ Liz Smith



No comments:

Post a Comment