Friday, July 24, 2009

Something Magical

I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse. ~ Walt Disney



In 2004, I decided to go on an internship offered to me by Disney World. They
called it the Disney College Program. Those of us who have gone through this are...unique, and we all seem to band together through this one similar tie. I knew that this was going to be an experience of a lifetime- I did not know that it would change the course of my life forever.



The College Program taught me a lot. The hours sucked, the money sucked, some of the really insane people we had to live and work with sucked, but the education that this gave me was worth it all. I grew up because of this experience. I learned that friendship was more valuable than pretty much anything. I learned how to get my heart broken. I learned that I did not look good in a polka dot bow tie. I learned how to make friends and travel and dance and drink and party without getting hurt. I learned that I could pick up men in spite of said bow tie (and worse, even). I learned a drop of Spanish. I learned compassion, I learned love, I learned how to fight for myself a little bit. I learned that I didn't have to be just a small town girl. I learned that I could be whatever the hell I wanted to be, and that I didn't need to be afraid of that.


After the program was said and done, I went back home to Montana. Two years after that, I moved back to Orlando. And now, here I
sit, typing away, waiting for my husband and son to come home. Okay, so there's alot more to the story than just that. But you get the idea.


Its funny how one little fork in the road of our lives can completely change everything. Okay, so maybe doing this internship wasn't a LITTLE fork. Still...if I hadn't gone (which I almost didn't), I wouldn't have met certain people, Kelly and I probably wouldn't have remained as close as we are (because that internship we went on together and will forever bond us even more), and I wouldn't have decided to move back, and therefore would not have met my husband. Who knows where I would be, but it wouldn't be here.
..


Today, my friends, take this: follow those dreams. They may be scary, they may look bigger than you, they may actually BE bigger than you. That's good, they need to be. Its better for you to fit into your dreams than for them to fit into you, right? They won't always work out, and the road through them won't always be smooth going- but you have to try. Trying is the most important part of the battle.


Oh, and don't forget to keep the scraps of memories. They are fun to look back on. : )




No comments:

Post a Comment