Thursday, September 30, 2010

Day 1: Something You Hate About Yourself

It's probably pretty easy to think of things we do not like about ourselves. Our figures, our smiles, our hair, face, feet, legs...

We usually are quick to pick ourselves apart. It's easy- it's a defense mechanism. If we tear ourselves down first, no one else can. If we recognize any shortcomings early on, we feel as if it frees us. When, in reality, it chains us. It ties us down to what we think we are limited to. I can't be pretty because I'm fat. I can't be smart because I'm dyslexic. I'm too old for this, I'm too young for that. They all just sound like excuses, right?

However. I'm not supposed to be talking about that. I'm supposed to be talking about me.

The one thing I do not like about myself is my incessant need to avoid confrontation. Any sort. I cannot speak my mind much of the time for fear of upsetting anyone; I cannot disagree because I don't want someone to think I'm mean, or dumb, or awful. It's funny, right? I am constantly worried about what people think, it what it boils down to. Ridiculous. And the thing is? I'm actually pretty darn opinionated. I doubt people who know me- even pretty well- officially know that. Because I hide it. Because I don't want people to think, "wow, she's a big mouth" or "I can't stand being around her!"

I think that's why I enjoy blogging so much. Because I'm able to have a voice. I have my own little corner of the Internet where I can say what I want, love what I want, be mad at what I want. And if someone doesn't like it...they can simply click off. ; )

2 comments:

  1. Yup I could have totally posted this myself! I am always so worried about other people's feelings when they clearly could care less about mine! & when I do get "brave" I shake and studder and it is not very confident! I love blogging too. =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, I'm the exact same way with the shake and studder thing. AND I get all flushed and sound like an idiot...good times. ; )

    ReplyDelete