Monday, March 7, 2011

Bitter...sweet

First, can I just say that bittersweet is one of my favorite words? When I was a kid I thought it was a type of food. (I know...ridiculous. That's me!)

Anyway, today I started taking apart and picking up my office. The lady who is replacing me will start on Wednesday, so I need to get things organized for her. It was a little sad taking all my pictures off my bulletin board and packing up all my little knick-knacks off my desk (I did not realize how much crap I have!!!). Until my last day of work, the 25th, I will work in a different office.

It is almost as though I no longer have a place, you know? While I know its just business, and of course they need to replace me, it's as if I never existed. It's that simple. I leave, someone else comes in, that's that. Soon no one will remember me- soon they'll be chatting and say,"Oh, yeah, who was in that office then? What was her name? Samantha? Stacey? Something like that."

Many of the people I work with have been there for five, ten, fifteen PLUS years. One lady has been there since the resort opened in 1984. She's worked there as long as I have been alive. So to them, my measely four years there isn't much. But to me? It's been four years of my life. Nearly the entire time that I've lived in Florida I've worked there. It was where I met my husband. It was where I waved at Chevy Chase and took Dave Matthews' breakfast order over the phone and made Tiger's bagel. It was where I tasted raspberry rose water sorbet and learned what wine glass goes with which wine. It was where I made my car payment in tips in one rainy night after everyone else called in. I did a lot of growing up there.

And now...it's time to move on. You need to know when that time is, and you need to bow out gracefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment