Thursday, May 6, 2010

Don't Forget Your Mama!



Just a friendly reminder to send a card/give a call/get some flowers/show some love
to your MAMA this Sunday!

It snuck up on me. That's why I'm mentioning it. ; ) Thankfully, I was in a crafty mood,
and made a bunch of cards for the special ladies in our world.

We have a lot. I guess that's what happens when you have a big, jumbled up family. And
I never realized how important Mother's Day was until I became one. I know,
that is selfish and ridiculous. What I mean is, it was a day that I tried to do nice things
for my mom, but I never knew how those things would ever become some of her best
memories and most cherished treasures.

Last Mother's Day, Monkey came home from school with a present for me that he'd worked
really hard on. Even at just one year old, you could tell he was excited about it. It was "wrapped"
in a brown paper bag, and came with a card. Inside the bag was a paperweight.

Alright. It was a rock painted blue. But that paperweight was the best present I'd ever gotten. It was
the first thing Monkey had made just for me, and it was an incredible feeling. It was in that moment
that I knew how my mother felt all those years about me and my poorly constructed art projects. She
applauded them more than anything store-bought.

That's the great thing about moms. They always see their kids in their best light. My mother
is convinced that I am the smartest, prettiest, funniest girl around. I'm convinced my kid
is adorable, a genius, a delight. At the end of the day, we may or may not be totally right ; ) but
it doesn't really matter. Cuz if Mama's happy, we're
allllllll happy.



A mom forgives us all our faults, not to mention one or two we don't even have. ~Robert Brault


1 comment:

  1. I don't remember ever making things like that for my Mother when I was little. But I sure remember everyone that my girls made for me.

    ReplyDelete