Sunday, April 25, 2010

Sarasota: Fun, Sun, Fishies, Boats, and One Bad Map



I pray to be like the ocean, with soft currents, maybe waves at times. More and more, I want the consistency rather than the highs and the lows.

Drew Barrymore


Well, folks, we are back from the lovely Sarasota!


We had a good time, although not without a few misadventures.
: )

We got to our room early Friday evening. After checking in, and doing the
settle in/freshen up routine, we set off to find a place to have dinner.
I envisioned a cute place, on the water, nothing fancy, just so
mewhere where the Monkey
could watch the water and boats and suns
et while we ate.

Well...the little tourist map we had basically took us in a round-about, ass back-wards
way where we ended up at a dead end in a residential area instead of
the restuarant. Hunh.

Longer story short, we ended up eating at an adorable little
Italian place that was de
eee-lish.

Saturday, we got up early and went to Siesta Key to play on the beach. It
was the MOST beautiful beach I have ever seen in the states.



Clear, blue skies and white, soft sand that was like flour. We had a blast
running around, playin
g.


After we all got nice and sandy (no swimming for us- it was too chilly yet!), we took
off for the Mote Aquarium (after a quick stop to Starbucks!).

I'm kind of an aquarium junkie. I love them. Anytime a tow
n has one, I want to
go to it. I hate that Orlando doesn't have one (and no, I do
not consider Sea
World an aquarium!).


Anyway...this aquarium was awesome!!

We saw an octopus...




...this guy was crawling all over his tank. It was so cool. Monkey didn't know
WHAT to make of him!



We saw sharks...


...these were just little guys. They were kinda cute! (Jagge
d sharp teeth aside)


We saw baby seahorses!


...they are called fry. Yeah, see, I learned something!


That was all in the first building. Then we followed the turtles-




-and the manatees-



-across the street to the second building, where we saw (wait for it...)...Turtles and
manatees!! I know. You're shocked. There were also two dolphins that were so cute.


They were practicing getting this guy in the sling, for when they would
need to get him out of the water for a check up or something. He did
a good job, and Monkey loved all the little tricks he did.

My favorite part was the manatees. I can't remember if I've ever seen a manatee up close
and personal before, but I sure did at this place.



They were so cute!!
They were named Hugh and Buffett, and they kept swimming up to the window of the tank
to come see us. : )


...This one kept running into the window! I couldn't tell if
he was doing it on accident to be funny, or if he just couldn't see (they have very
tiny little eyes!).


So, all in all, we loved Sarasota, and we had a great weekend. : )


No comments:

Post a Comment