Saturday, January 16, 2010

The Birthday Extravaganza

Just a tidbit from the Monkey’s second birthday:


One of our favorites these days is Elmo. He must have come out of the womb knowing who Elmo was, because he just randomly began chatting about him one day. So, my mother and I came up with the brilliant idea that, hey, we can make an Elmo birthday cake. No prob.

Heh.

Actually, it wasn’t that awful. I’m just a dramatic baker. First, I forgot to spray the cake mold, so the entire time the cake was baking I was pacing in the kitchen, determined that it was ruined before it had even begun. Thankfully, it came out of the mold just fine.

The next mole hill was the icing. Please note, that making red icing is kind of like finding a unicorn. It just doesn’t happen. You think you’re getting close, you think you’ve got it, and then…it remains pink. Okay, so that’s nothing like a unicorn. Bad analogy. Still, it was annoying.

However, we finally (FINALLY) got pretty close. And Elmo resembled- well, Elmo. So, success!

The things we will do for our children. : )

2 comments:

  1. Wow that cake looks AWESOME! & I am sure it was cheaper than having one done! I loved when my mom made my cakes herself you could just taste the love =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, that's why I decided to make the cake...they are so expensive from the bakery! Ridiculous. Plus, its a sweet memory to have- pun sort of intended. ; )

    ReplyDelete