Saturday, August 14, 2010

Home Town

The Monkey and I have a trip planned.

In October, we will both be flying to Montana for about a week. My oldest, dearest friend (we've known each other since preschool) is getting married to the love of his life on 10-10-10 (try forgetting that anniversary)- so Monkey and I are making a vacation out of it. Unfortunately, the Hubs has to work, so he'll have to skip this trip. : ( Still, I can't lie- I'm very excited to go home.

Home? Do I really still call it that? No matter where I go or what I do or who I become, yeah, it's still home, at least to parts of me. My parents house is like Tara was to Scarlett O'Hara in Gone With the Wind. I was born and raised in that house. It was hard to leave. It's hard to go back to, as well. I'm not quite sure why.

While much of me is excited- I haven't been back in 2 years- I am also nervous. I can't quite explain that, either, other than it's a small enough town to hold up to all the cliches of any small town. People gossip, word gets around, and you're always bound to run into people you aren't exactly wanting to. Old boyfriends, mean girls from high school- it's all petty stuff that shouldn't even consume my mind in the least, buuuut- it does. When I moved to Florida almost four years ago, all I heard was, "Why do you want to move there???" and "You'll be back". Everyone thought I was crazy for moving. Maybe I was. And at the time, I could give a good enough reason to make anyone understand. But now- I've met and married my husband, we've had an insanely cute and wonderful little boy (well, fine, that's just my opinion...), I'm happy. Isn't that good enough?

Then again, there are people I haven't seen in two years that I cannot wait to see. My old friends that basically GOT me through high school. Girls that were true blue best friends. The kind of friends that, even though we haven't seen each other in two years, we'll be able to sit down and talk for hours, laughing and gossiping like it's only been a few days since we've last seen one another.

Some things never change. And that is a weird and wonderful thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment